Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Missing Stratego.com
Fairway Offline

4 thank was given in 3 posts
Missing Stratego.com
Dear community,

This topic will be a place where we can discuss what stratego at stratego.com meant to us, and how much we will miss it. Feel free to share any thoughts, memories, or positive experiences that you have about stratego.com - from amazing comeback wins, to nostalgia about the site, to crushing defeats... Reminisce about the tournaments of days past, where players were brought together as one in the spirit of friendly yet intense competition. So share your best stories here, please feel encouraged to give anything that comes to mind. Thank you!
01-05-2021 01:32 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Nortrom Offline
Captain

10 thank was given in 10 posts
RE: Missing Stratego.com
Stratego.com is was the place to play our favorite game at. I remember finding the place and at first not liking it too much as I felt, at that point in time, it had a lot of unnecessary bells and whistles.

Slowly but surely, more appreciation for the platform came. This also was during the time events were being organised by enthusiastic volunteers taking upon this task which the site administrators never did or bothered with.

During these events and as well as the automated matchmaker, I came across a lot of new players which led to a lot of interesting games.

I happened to have played a friendly match against @Maxroelofs and would you believe it, in one of the first events of the site, we were paired against each other in the very first round. The video of that still is available.

A bit forward... more events were hosted and eventually the WCO (World Championships Online) also saw daylight which is now, arguably, the most prestigious online title of all time.

With a lot of efforts from Stratego playing fans, despite a lack of interest from the site administrators, Stratego.com still was, with a few flaws here and there, pretty succesful. We can only hope for such platform to return as soon as possible.
(This post was last modified: 01-05-2021 07:21 PM by Nortrom.)
01-05-2021 07:20 PM
GhostfaceKillah Offline
Scout

0 thank was given in 0 posts
This is Manning2Cruz aka Zach21 - for those that don't know this is actually my first name from metaforge.net

I remember stumbling upon stratego online in 2005/6 range and hopping around from sites. There were a few active at once btw Gravon/Metaforge and Stratego.com

Then came stratego.com which was the first to really build a big community there was a forum on the others but one that sustained. They also built up a pretty big user database which was cool. I think what was bad about the site is they never decided to fix endless chase, add correct chess clocks and misclicks leading to a different page via advertisement and then loss of points.

However, I started to really like this website. Unfortunately over the last few years I wasn't able to play as much as I'd like to until ths year. And then I discovered all the tournaments and the community built up on the website.

I can say this which sucks I really played a great tournament this year and was 1 click away in both games i shouldn't have won from winning this WCO. And I didn't realize this year was my only shot. Sucks to have the best tournament and end 5th. For all of us that care so much about this game it really sucks that they took that away from us. Hopefully that changes. It would be a real shame for their to be no more WCO's or other tournaments without my name on top because anyone who knows, knows it belongs there right Pim Tongue.

I loved that at any time basically sometimes I would have to wait a while for ranking I could log on hit game and get a game. Being from the US the good European players would not be on after work on other platforms. Its unfortunate that the community is left without a chance to continue the online life of this game and it has nothing to do with any of the communities members. Instead it has to do w/the owner of the game doesn't make a lot of logical sense to me.
01-05-2021 10:58 PM
KnightofPepsi Offline
Sergeant

16 thank was given in 15 posts
I joined the site in 2017 and didn't become more involved until 2019, so I'm a relative newcomer to the community. But for me, stratego.com reintroduced me to a game that I never realized was so complex, unique and interesting. Cool graphics helped to keep my interest, and it wasn't long until I wanted to find ways to climb higher up the rating system. As I explored the forum I eventually met some great Stratego friends with whom I've shared some interesting conversations and fun matches.

While the site had its glitches and faults, I still had many fun games and appreciate the contributions that many people made to organizing tournaments and otherwise supporting the community.

I look forward to playing people on whatever platforms become available!
01-08-2021 07:36 PM
Sevenseas Away
Miner

3 thank was given in 3 posts
I joined Stratego.com in 2014 having never played the game before. I was a complete newcomer and learned the game relatively quickly, rising from 100-800 within the first 6 months. I've had hours upon hours of fun and enjoyable games on the site and it is a shame it will be no more.

During 2016 I helped out on the tournament committee (TC) organising and running tournaments on stratego.com which was very rewarding.

One event in particular the strikes out to me is a tournament I joined in December 2017 in Sheffield. This was my first tournament ever, and we played a round robin with 5 fellow UK players. I managed to win this tournament having defeated the 2nd place ranked Richard Ratcliffe in the final round. This was a fond memory for me, and I suspect a lot of other members will also remember their first tournament as one of their most memorable.

2019/2020 has also been a memorable few years for me also, as I managed to attend the WC live in Sheffield 2019, the UK nationals in 2019, and 3rd in the WCO in 2019/2020 as well. I didn't perform as well in the former tournament but it still is memorable to me as the first WC I have attended.

It's because of Stratego.com that all these great events and memories were possible. I hope to continue playing Stratego in the future.
(This post was last modified: 01-08-2021 07:50 PM by Sevenseas.)
01-08-2021 07:46 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Murazor Offline
Sergeant

7 thank was given in 6 posts
I can sum it up in a few words:

I started playing at Stratego.com relatively late, at the end of 2018 when I was 41. My first Stratego board game was a present "from the Three Wise Kings" when I only was 5 or 6 years old.

Then, it´s easy to understand what Stratego.com has meant for me, besides having met so many nice people at the site. I´m looking forward to have a new site for us in 2021.

[Image: iByYdoJ.png]
01-09-2021 01:20 PM
Thank given by Strueker
Ausputzer Offline
Scout

1 thank was given in 1 posts
I play still stratego with adobe flash player. On the site stratego.com/en/play

Mostly with my second account.
01-09-2021 06:38 PM
Murazor Offline
Sergeant

(01-09-2021 06:38 PM)Ausputzer Wrote:  I play still stratego with adobe flash player. On the site stratego.com/en/play

Mostly with my second account.

No one will be able to play from the 12th of January...

01-09-2021 08:00 PM
Tom Blue Offline
Spy

1 thank was given in 1 posts
My stratego story is quite corny.
25 years ago I played it with my late father, it was our most favourite game for all the obvious reasons. Now since four month due to a friend I started playing again and discovered this great online app of stratego.
I love it even more. And the circle closes as my 8year old son started playing and got quite the passion for it as well as me.

This community is extremly helpful and nice, playing online is the greatest experience ever as it is challenging and exciting. And such a gift to play against other players worldwide and with some luck against one of the top players as well. (I had the opportunity two or three times and it was most thrilling) We can exchange, learn from each other and even cooperate in real life to enlarge our community, as I am about to found a stratego club in my country as well.

Hopefully we can somehow continue online soon and play a thousand more games together!!

Thank you all for your passion and dedication!
01-12-2021 02:41 AM
Guldin Offline
Spy

when i found out in 2009 that i had a brain disease i was advised to start doing brain activity. i began playing online chess which lasted about 3 months. it just got to boring and the discouragement of not even being close to the grandmaster i once was became to frustrating. then one day i remembered about stratego being a good memory game and found metaforge. my initial username was a99, but some pr!ck named htrn who was a mod ran me off the site. when i moved and got a new ip address i opened a new account and my username was xin. my rank was in the top 30. my favorite people to play were ghostface, sohal, hielco, devilsmacker, joe duck, buttwheat and a few i can't remember. after joining stratego.com i worked my clean ranking to as high as 11th, but hung around 14th for awhile. this was in 2016 when i started regressing and now my game is nowhere as good as it once was. i play better when i first wake up! from morning to afternoon i can increase my rank a 100 points. after dark i will lose those points back. i'm not sure if there could be anything worse than losing your mind. i outlived my original diagnosis by 3 years! sadly stratego was my life because it was the best brain activity i ever found. if there is a new place to play, i would love to know about it.
01-12-2021 06:30 PM
JJBB143 Offline
Spy

I got introduced to stratego.com at the age of 8 by my cousin LoserMaker and his Dad. Being so young I hardly appreciated the game and more messed around and lotto'ed then played properly and I think I only ever made it to bronze miner, XD and eventually lost interest.

But going back to February 2020 found the site in my old favourites and regained some interest in the game again and as soon as I started playing again I got hooked. Tongue

By the end of this year I was really improving my game (thanks too youtube streamers like Fairway) and other players who really helped me out with my game. Hopefully the site will return sometime in the future.

Jo
04-19-2021 09:33 AM
Silverhammer Offline
Spy

I do miss stratego.com

I miss the friends I made along the way. Perhaps I would have done things differently had I known what lied ahead.

Road to Gold. Forever.
05-06-2023 10:44 AM
Murazor Offline
Sergeant

(05-06-2023 10:44 AM)Silverhammer Wrote:  I do miss stratego.com

I miss the friends I made along the way. Perhaps I would have done things differently had I known what lied ahead.

Road to Gold. Forever.

You can keep on playing, just look a bit up in the internet in case you don´t already know... Rolleyes

05-09-2023 04:18 PM
DRVNP Offline
Spy

Of course i may not be allowed to mention it here,
but as disclosed elsewhere as mentioned above, it is again available
exactly in the identical fashion -- just adjust and customize the settings----
as we enjoyed so many years altogether !
Look for: strategus
05-20-2023 09:58 PM
Murazor Offline
Sergeant

Seems that new official site is coming...

https://go.jumbodiset.com/stratego-beta-testing

07-09-2023 11:24 AM
administrator Offline
Administrator

11 thank was given in 5 posts
07-28-2023 11:39 AM